Pages

1.28.2011

Day 27 - What Kind Of Person Attracts You?

This is kind of a tricky one, in that the title immediately lends itself to a romantic interpretation, which may not be the kind of angle I am aiming for. On the other hand, speaking generally about the kind of attributes which attract me to someone in a more general sense can be challenging as well since they aren't really that clearly defined. Well, neither is the other, since I tend to be attracted to those of the female variety on a case-by-case basis - not that I have to concern myself with that (more tomorrow).

The key, I suppose, is that everything is fairly arbitrary. There are things that I admire in one person which I do not in others. I like to see people more as the sum of their parts rather than just settling for a few "positive" attributes and calling it a day. 

Sitting here and re-reading what I have so far has made me reflect on the friends I have and, in particular, the people I am closest to, and I suppose that there are a few commonalities that I can pick out:
  • Intelligent: not that I need to surround myself with people who have super-high IQs or anything, just people who don't take the world at face value and are willing to verbally spar about things like politics, culture, media, science, theology and the like.
  • Curious
  • Geeky: how do you know if you are a geek? Step one - complete two of the following quotes, and you are off to a good start (thank you #observationdeck)
    • "I am your ______" 
    • "Damn it, Jim. I'm a _____ not a brick layer" 
    • "I’m sorry, ____. I’m afraid I can’t do that." 
    • "I must not fear. Fear is the ______." 
    • "My name is ______. You killed my father. Prepare to die!" 
    • "End Of ____" 
    • "Kneel before ___." 
    • "Shop Smart. Shop ____" 
  • Honest about your quirks: born from my general geekyness, I can't stand it when people try to hide the things that make them interesting because they want to be "mainstream." Normal is overrated: come to the Darkseid, we have cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment