Pages

1.11.2011

Day 10 - Discuss Your First Love

Ah love, you come in so many forms. You take us to heights and depths, always an adventure. The subject of poetry and song, tv shows and movies, and everything in between. We seem to live in a culture that loves to love (thankfully) more than it loves to hate. I myself have fallen prey to Cupid's arrows, and have been the better man for it. However, much as I would like to wax eloquent about my romantic love, she is not in fact my first love (sorry dear). No, that title has been reserved for a love affair which has continued since childhood: my love of books.

As far back as I can remember, my life has been immersed with books. I can remember my dad reading The Chronicles of Narnia and The Hobbit to my siblings and I before bed. And any time we would spend time with my Poppa and Dearma I would always have tonnes of books at my disposal. I must have read through every Hardy Boys adventure during those summers, not to mention my Dearma providing me with the Arthurian legends to spark my imagination and have a huge impact on the way I live.

I love books. I love to read them and explore the fantastic worlds that authors have put so much time into creating. Science Fiction and Fantasy are my particular genres of choice, though I enjoy a great mystery, thriller, or whatever-the-heck you want to label Douglas Coupland's books as. I enjoy reading the classics, not just because they are great stories, but also because of the rich heritage they lend to the full breadth of literature. I only really read Homer because of Dante, and only read Virgil because it tied the two together (though I just looked over to my bookshelf and noticed that my copy of Il Commedia is missing, and now I shall have to go on the hunt to find it). My parents recently acquired a bookshelf for me because they were sick and tired of seeing them on the floor, and it is already filled to overflowing. I love the feel of a book in my hand, the weight of it, and the smell of paper - whether it be the fresh scent of a new book or the slightly must smell of an older one - is one of my absolute favourites. I love walking into a room and just seeing stacks of books; it makes me happy.

My (current) bookcase:

No comments:

Post a Comment